Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sentenced - Families Are Footing the Bill for Violent Offenders

Families are being sentenced along with their convicted family members. What do I mean?

Well, my brother, a few months ago was sentenced to 97 years in prison. He has to pay $25 a month to the Victims Assistance Fund. I know I mentioned this before, but I had to reiterate this.

Violent offenders commit crimes and then have to pay the fine, but many like my brother, at times, have only earned $7 in one month. That is not enough to pay the fine monthly and is really not easy to live on in jail. So, we send money monthly for canteen, etc. When violent offenders commit crimes and are sentenced, families pay for the crime. This is something to think about for potential offenders. The cycle of violence has to stop.

What are your thoughts on this? Anyone else in this situation like to comment?

Certainly food for thought.

I will talk to you later.

No comments: